If you are managing a startup company or a big sized unit company that suitable with 8 hours working shifts and looking for a way to manage the suitable employee shift schedule, you might consider to implement Continental Shift Schedule Plan. It is one of employee schedule plan that has a fast forward rotation plan from day working shift to shift working shift and night working shifts. What makes Continental Shift Schedule Plan different from other shift schedule plan is that it allows the employee to have a 3-day consecutive off duty and gives the opportunity for them to have 1 free weekend every month. However, the employee will have to work for 7 consecutive working days as its return.
How Continental Shift Schedule Plan Works?
1. How many departments (teams) can involve?
Continental Shift Schedule Plan involves 4 departments (teams)
2. How long are the shift hours per day?
It requires 8 hours in day working shifts, 8 hours in swing working shifts and 8 hours in night working shifts for a 24/7 effective working days per month.
3. How the rotation of Continental Shift Schedule Plan works?
Continental Shift Schedule Plan is a fast rotation plan
4. What happen to the employee vacation days or sick days?
All the vacation days, sick days or any other days exclude working days are all given and calculated in hours.
5. How does this schedule work?
All of the departments (teams) need to rotate through an order of 2,2, and 3 consecutive day working shifts, swing working shifts, night working shifts or off duty days.
6. I still do not really get it. Can you give me the example of how Continental Shift Schedule Plan works?
Below are the examples of how Continental Shift Schedule Plan works
- D = Day working shifts
- S = Swing working shifts
- N = Night Working Shifts
- O = Off Duty days
The order of shifts below is starting from
Department (Team) 1 : D-D-S-S-N-N-N-O-O-D-D-S-S-S//N-N-O-O-D-D-D-S-S-N-N-O-O-O
Department (Team) 2 : O-O-D-D-S-S-S-N-N-O-O-D-D-D//S-S-N-N-O-O-O-D-D-S-S-N-N-N
Department (Team) 3 : N-N-O-O-D-D-D-S-S-N-N-O-O-O//D-D-S-S-N-N-N-O-O-D-D-S-S-S
Department (Team) 4 : S-S-N-N-O-O-O-D-D-S-S-N-N-N//O-O-D-D-S-S-S-N-N-O-O-D-D-D
You can see the visualization of this shift pattern in picture below
7. What company does this Continental Shift Schedule Plan commonly be implemented?
This Continental Shift Schedule Plan is commonly implemented in any agencies or industries that is suitable with 8 hours working shifts
8. What are the advantages of Continental Shift Schedule Plan?
• The employee will work for a minimum 2 consecutive off duty days
• The employee will have a free weekend for every month
• The employee will work for 8 hours working shifts
9. What are the disadvantages of Continental Shift Schedule Plan?
• The employee may work for 7 consecutive working days
• The employee may work for 3 consecutive in night working shifts for every month
• The employee may require an average of 2 hours per week of overtime hours.
Continental Shift Schedule Plan works out well for any agencies or industries that are suitable with 8 hours working shifts. If you are want to play around with your own employees, you can download the Excel template below to simulate it.